Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thing 9



I made the search for an Art Teacher to use to research Artists and Projects using Art related sites,subject matter and topics. I think this could be one of the Things that is most useful to me as a teacher. This is great for limiting younger students using the Internet. There is SO much information on the web and some that is not appropriate for kids (especially in Art)! I would think parents could use this to monitor what the kids are researching and limiting the research without having to sort the info.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the search engine! I was able to find a few projects to use in my classroom to enhance my curriculum and expand on our Art Teacher's instruction. My one question is how do we stop the kids from leaving our "safe" search engine and going off on their own?

McCloskey said...

I used your search engine and found some good Dali sites. Thanks.

JB, depending on how "filtered" your search engine is, you'll know if they find other sources. I don't think we can "stop" them from "going off on their own," but we can require a works cited page. That should help.

Jim Dornberg said...

We can't stop students, even with filters in place! I use the swimming pool analogy: to prevent your children from drowning in your pool, you can either build a higher fence, or teach them to swim. Same with the internet. We can make better filters, or teach them how to find the best sites for themselves.

Then we punish those who visit inappropriate sites without having to block everyone from everything.

Someone sent me this funny quote on Twitter awhile ago: "don't confuse me with the facts, I've already blocked that site."