Saturday, August 15, 2009

Thing 13 of 13

My final thoughts...First personally I have used Skype IM the most with 4thteach (Deb Miller). It is faster than email and we can both multitask and get other things done while still communicating. I like to IM people because my ear doesn't have to get sore & its less expensive than texting! The 2nd Thing I will use the most is Diigo - now that I know it can be accessed at school it is sure to help keep me organized! One of the commonalities of all the Things is to share them with peers, communicate, comment and share ideas! These Things will also grab the students attention and help make learning fun! I shared my comic and my Jing show with family and friends. I shared Diigo with a couple of teacher friends. I would like to share Jing with my students, but I have not tried it at school yet. I am teaching 2nd grade summer school and my Jing story could be a spring board for the students to tell their own story or ellaborate on mine.

I think there has been a few classes of 23 things now, because I hear teachers talk about it more and more. It is neat to share ideas and comment on how challenging some of the Things can be. Between the 3 schools that I teach at, there have been at least 7 teachers that I have talked to about all the Things! We compare their uses and share ideas on how to use them in our classes. I think the Things Classes have changed my outlook of the web - I can say that some of the Things I didnt even know existed. I will be using several of the things in my classes this upcoming school year. The Things classes makes me want some computer time with my students in the lab.

3 comments:

McCloskey said...

I agree, Amy, when you write that this "Things" class has made you eager to try some of these new tools with your students. Me, too. Not, you know, your students, but mine :)

Jim Dornberg said...

It's so nice that you are able to have face-to-face discussions about the various things. And I hope some others will become interested as a result of your discussions.

I have been very impressed with the number of very intelligent people online who are very willing to share their expertise, their insights, and their online resources with me. I hope that I can somehow "pay it forward" to others who have not experienced Web 2.0 for themselves, and I invite you to do the same.

Otto said...

I encourage just about everyone I discuss "Things" with to take the class. It's great that you have a network to collaborate with.